Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jesus Loves You, Everyone Else Thinks You're an Ass

Such was a bumper sticker I came across recently. Pretty freaking funny...and TRUE I'd say!

It's hard for me to blog without bringing up my faith...cause it IS me...so my mind automatically goes to talk about Christianity or the "Mere Christianity" I claim so often. That being said...that bumper sticker made me envision some tried and true Bible thumpers shaking their heads and whatnot at that bumper sticker. Well...it's funny...and if you think about it...probably a very true statement.

Who could POSSIBLY love some of the really detestable people out there...those that we think don't "deserve" to be loved...oh right, God. He loved us first, didn't He?

How about the BP freakshows...and this whole environmental NIGHTMARE? I've seen so much bashing and hatred for them...and I get it. I DO. I am def. not a supporter.

I think there are a lot of Christians/believers who are guilty of not caring about the environment b/c their belief is that the world is temporary anyway and that it's not going to be anything near what heaven is promised to be...their real home, and so on...so what does it matter. I don't mean that they believe the BP crisis doesn't matter...but the ones who don't do anything to conserve, to recycle to show love for the world we were GIVEN.

Many believe that we will not abolish ourselves...that we will not be the ones to destroy the earth...so why care...right? How bad could it possibly get before it truly is the end?

Whatever your belief, somehow I feel a charge to state what I know to be true:

God created the world. Scripture clearly shows his enjoyment of creation...his delight in his creations. The idea, held by many, that man is free to destroy the earht is in DIRECT conflict with the recordings of how and when God created the earth and WHY...found in Genesis. I don't really know anyone who WANTS to destroy the earth...but who don't necessarily care when major things happen to it.

Psalm 104 says that God provides the water from the mountains for "all the beasts of the field and the wild donkeys [to] quench their thirst." He cares about what he created and provided means for them. Don't you think He hates seeing what we've done with what He gave us?

Could he swoop down superman style and renew the earth? Of course He could. But we pay the consequences for our actions. He was clear about that too. It seems we only want God in our world and in our lives when there's a major crisis...too big for human power.

BP...oil and wealth meant more than paying attention to detail when signs were there that showed something was wrong with that oil tanker. Now our waters are polluted, our animals are dead and dying and another part of our world is not what it used to be. I cried watching my son try to figure out the situation about the oil. Does he know that we may not return to the place we love most (which is the place he was conceived...haaa) on the Gulf b/c we will likely be unable to swim in the ocean? Scarier yet...will he know waht the world WAS like...what the oceans were intended to be...in his lifetime? Will he get to dive for sea shells or experience the clear Gulf waters? Not that they weren't already polluted...but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS. Surely God is crying too.

It's like watching my son make a mistake and paying the consquences...he will never learn if he doesn't go through it...if he doesn't feel and reap what he sows. Same here.

Though I don't know how to directly link this..I've been thinking about recent shark attacks and things that we hear of more now than ever involving animals attacking humans. When you ruin an animal's natural habitat..when you steal it or become too gready with it, it will inevitably come into yours and take what it needs.

Am I crazy to keep my son out of the ocean or at least limit him to thigh high water? NO WAY. Not in this day. We steal the ocean, the ocean's gonna steal us. Even now, at almost 32, I can clearly see the world my son lives in is not the one I grew up in.

The Bible says that God clearly gave humans dominion over the earth...not to mistreat or abuse, but to CARE for it...it was a gift. Look what we've done to it. The Bible/God asks very clearly encourages wise stewardship of the Earth. Period.

No matter what level of asshole I am or you are...God does care...and does forgive...but he's not going to give us a whole new world to crapeth upon anytime soon. So while we hate BP, God is watching and listening and knew they/we would shit it all up...how must HE feel? Betrayed...disappointed? I don't know really.

If you don't care about the Bible, believe it's anything but a book or some good ideas, well that's up to you. I have found it a source of truth...one that does not conflict its statements.

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment