Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why So Secretive

Some people refer to it as personal. Others as private. Others as not appropriate to discuss.

Religion.
Spirituality.
Church.
Belief Systems.

Any or all of these is what I am referring to. Why is it that we are all so afraid to talk about them? I was very afraid - for a long time - until I realized I wasn't scared.

One of the biggest, well, THINGS, that I have noticed, is that the "shut down" begins when people can't answer their own questions - when they've come to the realization that they've made it this far not really KNOWING FOR SURE a lot of things. Some are content with the unknown. Those who are agnostic sometimes believe that it is beyond human capability to know if God exists. Don't worry - I am not going to say "look at the face of a newborn baby, or the sunset, or the rainbow" and expect the realization to hit. That would be absurd. If that was enough to convince the masses, we'd all be on our knees asking forgiveness, no?

I grew up "religious." I went to church, Lutheran to be exact. I went to a southern christian school for one year, where I learned that the Bible wasn't an object you dusted on the end table or that people placed their hand on to promise something super duper important. You actually read it as a GUIDE. A fricking GUIDE! How crazy...of course at that time we were locked into the version that forced me to say words like "bestow, thus and though" and that just made me giggle. Fortunately, though, I realized the significance - that this was God's word. His WORDS! I mean...if he wasn't going to show up with skin on in my life, then thank, well, GOD, that there's SOMETHING I can touch, open and read!

I have a whole other set of thoughts I am constructing on the validity of those words - written down by man - but haven't quite mastered what it is I need to get out of my brain...it's a bit touchy for me...so I have to get back to you (ok me - who else is frickin reading this) on that.

So anyway - once I learned the words I realized I needed to read more...wanted to read more...because these words were alterning my being, my life...then I remembered the Bible being referred to as "the book of life" and I thought..."Huh! I remembered something from church!" But then quickly learned that many, many of those I knew and loved around me weren't being taught to open their Bibles, but were taught to sit, listen and learn from a person - who would either make references to the Bible, or not, read a bit out of it, but never teach it solely. THAT is where my journey to discuss EVERYTHING started. I thought...well what is this OTHER stuff I am learning - my people, my family, my friends are learning?

So - ok - how to continue? Years have gone by since I first learned how to read the Bible, how to study it. I spent some time working on the validity of it...because there are other beliefs that have books that serve as their "bible" - The Koran, The additional book/writings that Mormons use, etc. Careful now - I am not saying anything about THEM. No need. I am just talking through the journey MY brain and heart took.

So I am still on that journey a bit. I have learned the history (tho I can't recite it) on how the scriptures came to be and how the translations were made...and I'll leave it at that for now.

What eats at me is why even the closest of friends and family - who may be of different belief systems and backgrounds choose not to discuss any this - THIS "WHO" THAT THEY "ARE".

I mean...there are reasons people keep their lips sealed. It's awkward. It IS personal and to some - it's just none of your business. I tend to view the gazillion churches on every corner an obvious demonstration of disunity (is that word?) and confusion and the propeller of the secretism I am discussing. THere are also people who you fear you'll be associated with if you open your trap. That was my issue. I mean, you have the obvious morons who think they know it all and judge instantly - and really, that's a lack of spiritual maturity.

For example...I LOVE to dance. If a person came to me to learn the first thing about it, and I decided to really put on a DEMONSTRATION - to really dazzle them with my talents (stretching the truth here)...don't you think they would 1. be irritated and 2. discouraged. I mean...how could a beginner who doesn't know HOW TO PUT ON a ballet slipper dance Swan Lake? See?

There are also those so wrapped up in themselves and their "righteous" lives that they are afraid of everyone else and force themselves and their families to abstain from any activity affiliated with those who believe something other than what they do - you know - those who won't eat in a place that sells alcohol because they feel alcohol is an evil (I don't remember the last time an establishment made drinking alcohol a requirement), those who won't let their kids play with others of different beliefs because they are afraid of its affects - or those who know so little/care so little about the human race as a whole that they spend no time with them. There are also those who are just plain WEIRD.

I guess I just feel like this. I know some stuff. This stuff happens to be about God. I want to know more stuff, but most I know are afraid to investigate the stuff. I mean...not without good reason - I just stated some good ones in the above paragraph- who wants to go THERE?

I have felt more sure of things than I do right now. I feel more sure of things right now than I have at other times. I am LEARNING. And while I feel very sure there is ONE answer (another blog), I'd like to discuss, to analyze, to speculate. People are afraid to be WRONG. I certainly don't like to be wrong. But I have been wrong...and will most likely be wrong again in my life:)

There is one thing, however. I have an eternal focus. I have seen too many people die and have wondered - in all general respects -WHERE they were/are now b/c it was obvious that the body they lived in was a HOUSE for who THEY were.

So my desire to learn and KNOW comes from the FACT that I will die someday. My son will die someday. We will all die someday. Enjoy life while you can? ABSOLUTELY. Why not do it with an understanding of why we're here in the first place?

1 comment:

  1. I'm you're huckleberry. That's just my game. What'cha wanna talk about? I bring this stuff up on sales calls for crying out loud :-)

    ReplyDelete